Learn to make this delicious Honey Pound Cake.
Original recipe published April 2011, updated April 2016.
Honey pound or bundt cakes are not very popular here in the USA, but I grew up eating them in Chile and I love them. This recipe came from a dear friend, it is a family recipe and delicious.
You must use a honey you like because the cake will have that flavor. I like wildflower honey, usually, it is well rounded and not pungent. The other important thing is that the cake grows a lot in the oven, so do not fill the mold beyond half or they overflow. You can also bake it as muffins.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Honey pound cake
12 muffins or 1 pound cake
- 1 cup honey
- 118 grams of butter unsalted
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm milk (20 seconds in the microwave on high)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white
- a pinch of salt or 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Pour the honey in a glass pyrex bowl add butter and heat in microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir well (for 1 minute), this should melt all the butter and mix with honey, if it is necessary, heat 20 seconds more. Or do the same in a small pan.
- With a mixer, beat eggs on medium speed until frothy, about 2 minutes, add the honey and melted butter, milk, salt, and vinegar.
- Beat on low speed until mix. Add the flour with the baking powder and pour over the batter, beat at medium speed for 1 minute. At first, the dough will look lumpy, keep beating until it is homogenous and look like a batter. Pour into a buttered pan covered you may use a long pound cake pan or a bundt cake pan or make 12 muffins, just remember not to fill a lot of the pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes for large cakes or 25-28 minutes for muffins, test with a stick it should come out dry.
- Cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, remove from the pan and let cool completely.
- You can save it in a bag for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.