This recipe is for one flavor, but you may substitute the fruit juice for another variety and in some cases as apple juice you will need to add a dye to make them look like the original Frugelé. With a little work you can recreate your favorite flavor.
Important: Homemade Frugelé or gummies are temperature sensitive, so you must keep them in a cool place. I wanted to bring some to a meeting that I have on Wednesdays at lunchtime in downtown Houston and put them in the car, stopping at various places to buy things, when I got to the meeting they were melted …. big fail. I still under-estimated the heat of summer here….
Homemade Mango Gummies
- 2 cups mango juice
- 6 tablespoons gelatin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar for dusting
- In a small saucepan place the mango juice, sprinkle all the gelatin slowly, let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until the gelatin dissolve and all lumps are gone.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Pour into a well oiled pound cake pan.
- Let stand overnight.
- Unmold, cut and let dry for 2 hours.
- Roll in sugar and stored for no more than 1 week in a cool place.