If you’re seeing this recipe and are Chilean: Hello, welcome!. If you are Venezuelan and you’re wondering what is this? I wanted a dessert recipe … I’m sorry, but this recipe is about a homemade cheese, which in Chile is sold everywhere and we grew up eating. I can tell you without hesitation that the quesillo is what I miss most about Chile and although I have tried countless cheeses here in the U.S., none are the same. And so, from time to time, I do it at home and enjoy it to the fullest. The recipe is a little long, if you have questions leave a comment. The ingredients are as I find in the U.S.A.
Fresh Cheese, Chilean Recipe
- 1 gallon of milk 1 or 2% (in the U.S.) or 2 liters of whole milk plus 1 liter of skim milk (in Chile)
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablet of rennet (in the U.S.A. is called Junket Rennet, you can buy in supermarkets or Amazon)
It is important to sterilize all instruments and the cloth first, you can boil everything for 10 minutes in the same pot that will be used later to make the cheese. Do not forget to sterilize:
- Soup spoon
- Put the milk in a large pot and heat to 31-34 degrees C, it is important to have a thermometer to check the temperature of the process to be able to make it. Add the Rennet, dissolves well stirring for 3 min. Let stand without stirring for 1 hour to 1 hour and a half, until it can be cleanly cut from the surface with a knife (is set). Time is variable depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
- Cut from the top to the bottom of the pan into squares 2 by 2 cm, you can do it with a knife. Let stand 15 minutes more in the pot, stirring gently every couple of minutes to “lose” the serum.
- Then using a colander lined with a cheese cloth, drain the curd without stirring for 5 min, then lift with the cloth forming a ball, let the liquid drain more.
- Open the ball on top of the colander, add salt and stir gently. Again do a ball with the cloth and squeeze gently.
- Put in a cheese mold with drainage holes. Put some weight on top (may be a tin can). Let stand in the refrigerator for the night or 6-8 hours.
- The next day, un mold, remove the cloth and enjoy.