This is a very special dish in Chile, for many is the main comfort dish during the winter. Made with dry beans and spaghettis is definitely a hearty plate.
Winter Bean soup Chilean style (Porotos con riendas)
- 2 cups cooked beans, reserving the cooking juices or 3 cans of Great Northern beans rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped into small cubes
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sausages (spanish chorizo is best) chopped into slices
- a handful of spaghettis
- 1 small bunch of Swiss chard
- carrot or celery and red pepper if desired, all chopped fine
- Rinse beans, removing pebbles or beans that are not in good condition
- Soak beans in cold water overnight, strain the next day and cook.
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry the onion, stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, celery, carrot and red pepper if using, cook 1 minute stirring, add the sausage and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans and enough water to cover everything, add raw noodles and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Add chopped swiss chard into strips the last 2 minutes. Monitor and add more water if necessary.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning
- Serve hot.