I made these cookies for my daughter’s birthday, the theme was Legend of Zelda video game. I used a flour regularly sold in every supermarket in Chile is all purpose flour roasted, usually we sprinkle this flour on top of watermelon during the summer or mix it with milk to create a drink call ulpo, a little like the mexican atole. These cookies are very crisp.
Toasted flour cookies
for 25-30 biscuits
- 150 grams of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup toasted flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- sugar for dusting
- In a bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and salt and beat until incorporated, do not over beat. Add the egg, beat until blended.
- Add the flour and stir until it all begins to form moist crumbs.
- Finish mixing by hand, kneading it lightly.
- Form a disk and using 2 sheets of parchment paper or similar roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2 cm. Cut on the desired shape.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or 15 minutes in the freezer (this is to retain shape well when baked)
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F .
- Sprinkle with sugar the pre-cut cookies if you want .
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned on the edges and bottom.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
Adapted from a Dorie Greenspan recipe