I made these cookies for a birthday; the theme was Legend of Zelda video game. I used a flour regularly sold in every supermarket in Chile is all-purpose flour roasted, usually, we sprinkle this flour on top of watermelon during the summer or mix it with milk to create a drink call Ulpo, a little like the Mexican atole. These cookies are very crisp.
Toasted flour cookies
for 25-30 biscuits
- 150 grams of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup toasted flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- sugar for dusting
- In a bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and salt and beat until incorporated, do not overbeat. Add the egg, beat until blended.
- Add the flour and stir until it all begins to form moist crumbs.
- Finish mixing by hand, kneading it lightly.
- Form a disk and using two sheets of parchment paper or similar roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2 cm. Cut on the desired shape.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or 15 minutes in the freezer (this is to retain shape well when baked)
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Sprinkle with sugar the pre-cut cookies if you want.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned on the edges and bottom.
- Allow cooling in the tin.
Adapted from a Dorie Greenspan recipe