This pie is delicious and great for when we have no desire to cook fillings, traditionally filled with peach jam or quince paste, you can use your favorite, I use cranberries jam and quince jelly mixed.
The dough should be left to stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator before rolled, to make it easier to handle, it can also be made the day before and take out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before roll.
- 2 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- generous pinch of salt
- 125 grams/ 4 oz of unsalted butter (if using salt, removed the pinch of salt)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- grated lemon, orange or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 jar of jam (500 grams) any flavor
- In a bowl or plate combine flour, baking powder and salt if you will use. In another big bowl with a fork or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale, about 3 minutes at medium-high speed. Add lemon or orange zest or vanilla extract and incorporate. Add the egg and yolk and mixed until fully incorporated. With the machine at low speed add flour mixture and work until dough is smooth and together.
- Make 2 disks: one with 1/3 of the dough and another with about the 2/3 left. Refrigerate for 1 hour both discs.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Flour the counter. Remove the largest disk from the fridge and using a rolling pin, roll the dough until you have the proper diameter to cover the pie pan to be used (I use a 23 cm/9″ in diameter with removable bottom), cover the bottom and edges of the pan with the dough, don’t worry, it doesn’t need to be perfect. Pour the jam and cover the dough bottom completely. Roll the remaining disk of dough and cut small strips to make the interlacing. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown like the photo.
- Serve room temperature, the pie can be stored cover for 2-3 days at room temperature.
Receta adaptada de Flavia’s Flavors