Paprika or Chilean Color is the heart and soul of the Chilean cuisine, similar to the sofrito for other cultures. Use it to sauté onions at the beginning of any Chilean dish.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Paprika or Chilean color
for 1 cup of color
- 1 cup, 190 grams shortening
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika or chili
- 1 tablespoon merkén (Chilean smoked chili, available at Amazon)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, optional
- In a small saucepan or skillet, over medium heat, melt the shortening. If you want, add the garlic and let fry 1 minute, remove and discard.
- Add the peppers and lower the heat to low, cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the same pot, it will solidify or transfer to a glass jar, you can strain if desired. Keep refrigerated.