My mom, for a while, made cocktail food for her friends. I used to help with canapés, filling cookies with jam or dulce de leche and of course making this classic Chilean appetizer in puff pastry cups … in fact we once bought a new brand and when we had already filled them, we realized that the dough was sweet, most disgusting thing ever, luckily it did not leave the house.
My mom did several stuffing with: mushrooms, shrimp, leeks, peppers. All these fillings are based on a thick white sauce with parmesan cheese. You can mix and play.
Langostino Tails Appetizers
for 25 puff pastry cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 1 cup thawed shrimp and cooked, they can be chopped shrimp also
- 25 puff pastry cups cooked or similar
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add the flour, stir well for 1 minute with a round whisk. Reduce heat to low, begin adding the milk gradually and always mixing to form the sauce. Raise the heat to medium and continue stirring until it boils.
- Remove from heat and add the Parmesan cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the prawns and stir well.
- Fill the cups and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Broil in the oven just before serving.