This Bean and Onion Salad, Chilean Recipe is very popular in Chile, especially during the Spring before the new crop of beans is out, but the good weather gets everybody to turn on the BBQs.
In Chile, the costume is to use dry beans, this time I found fresh pinto beans at the Farmer’s Market and went with that.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Bean and Onion Salad, Chilean Recipe
- 1 cup pinto beans, soak overnight in water. If using fresh don’t soak, you can also use canned
- 1 large onion cut as thin as possible
- salt, oil, lemon, and parsley to taste
- Drain the beans. Cook the beans in salted water until they are soft, but not mushy, between 40 minutes and 1 hour and a half, it depends on how old the beans are, always try 3-4 beans before declaring them ready, drain.
- Chop the onion in fine half moons, soak for 10 minutes in cold water, drain and dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl mix the beans and onion, dress with salt, lemon and a little oil, add if desired chopped parsley, try, adjust the seasoning and serve.