In Chile the costume is to use dry beans, this time I found fresh pinto beans at the Farmer’s Market and went with that.
Bean and Onion Salad, Chilean Recipe
- 1 cup of dry pinto beans, soak overnight in water, if using fresh don’t soak.
- 1 large onion cut as thin as possible
- salt, oil, lemon and parsley to taste
- Drain the beans, make sure they are clean. Cook the beans in salted water until soft, 40 minutes to 1 ½ hours, depending on how old the beans are, always try 3-4 beans before committing yourself and declare it ready, drain.
- Chop the onion and soak for 10 minutes in cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a bowl mix beans and onions, season with salt, lemon and a little oil, add chopped parsley if desired, taste, adjust seasoning and serve room temperature.