A recipe sent by Rosa, a follower of the blog on Facebook. Thank you Rosa ! She does this Christmas cake every year, the recipe is original from an old, long out of print Chilean magazine called Eva (scroll down for the rest of the article in English).
Christmas Cake, Chilean Recipe
- 1 kilo of flour (2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon anise powdered, optional
- 250 grams of powdered sugar
- 14 grams or 2 packets granulated instant dry yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup ground walnuts or almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit
- 2 tablespoons of beer
- 250 grams of melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml. of warm water
- 1 egg to paint
- In a bowl mix almonds, raisins, nuts, candied fruit and ground almonds .
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg, anise and yeast. Stir with a fork until well blended.
- In another medium bowl, mix melted butter and beer, eggs. Beat with a fork until well blended.
- Make a volcano and put the butter mixture in the center. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix or knead all. Add the warm water and knead to form a uniform dough, it will be heavy, but not sticky. You can use the mixer or food processor for this.
- Let stand covered with a cloth in a warm draft-free place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough to a floured counter and pound with your hands to make a rectangle , place the mixture of nuts, raisins and candied fruit on the center, roll and knead until incorporated and evenly distribute.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal parts and make rolls/buns with each.
- Preheat oven to 300F or 150C .
- Place the buns on a baking pan covered with parchment paper and let rise for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut a triangle on top of each bun and brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until golden .
- Cool on a wire rack. Storage in sealed bags.