The recipe for the dough is a family heirloom, my great aunt taught me how to do it, she was the person in charge of the famous Thousand Layer cake in our family. Alfajores are a must at Christmas, Easter and parties in general. They are offered during breakfast or for dessert or with tea.
Alfajores are a must at Christmas, Easter and parties in general.
Alfajores, Chilean Recipe
for 35 Alfajores
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Dulce de Leche to fill
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Put flour in a large bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and work with a fork or your hands to form crumbs.
- Add milk, vinegar and melted butter.
- Form a dough, add water if necessary by 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Knead to a smooth dough, about 10 minutes.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest, refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Roll thin and cut the Alfajores, prick with a fork, bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown .
- Fill with the Dulce de Leche once they are cool.