This apple galette I saw in a blog that I like a lot, the recipe is Alice Waters, a well-known American chef. I liked it because it is very simple and you really appreciate the taste of apples, it also looks beautiful. Last night we had dinner guests and I made it for dessert and I took new pictures.
Of food I served chicken with juice and puree, my guests brought a salad and without complicating us too much, we had a great time.
If they are short of time, they can use a dough bought here in the USA to buy the dough standing (they come rolled in a box in the frozen ones) Wholly Wholesome or Trader’s Joe.
Recipe originally published in October 2009.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Apple Sheet Kuchen.
for the dough,
- 1 cup of flour without baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces (100 grams)
- very cold water
for the filling,
- 3 large apples peeled and julienned, save the husks and hearts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and work with a fork until sand is formed with balls of about the size of a pea. Add water of a tablespoon, join initially with the fork, then with your hands, until you get to form a ball. I used 6 tablespoons on a dry day. Give it a disc shape and wrap in kitchen plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove and crush the edges so that cracks are not made when grinding. Use over the floured board, until you get a circle of approximately 25 cm in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.
- Put the dough on siliconized paper or canned tin. Place the cut apples in a circle leaving an edge of about 3 cm. Cover with the edge of leftover dough, forming the cake.
- Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle 3 tablespoons with the granulated sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the dough is browned.
- While the glaze is baked: In a small pot, place the sugar and cover with the water, add the apple peels and the hearts. Boil over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until they have a syrup.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it rest for 15 minutes and brush with the apple syrup. Cut and serve. Or serve at room temperature.